*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pecan pie is said to be a tradition of the South. Best I can tell the Pecan Pie originated in New Orleans. Well, being as some of the best butter sweet treats (among others) are Southern born, I’ll take that as a yes!
I live in the Northeast and Pecan Pie has been a staple at our holiday dinner tables second only to Apple pie. I suppose, my parents living in the south during my dad’s early Navy years may have introduced my South Boston roots to this delicousness.
Beneath the shade of a Georgia pine
And that’s home you know
Sweet tea, pecan pie and homemade wine
Where the peaches grow
Pecan Pie Bars or Pecan Pie Cookie Bars
O.K., so we’re not talking ‘pie’ here, but a great way to share the same fabulosity at an office party, a holiday gathering, with neighbors and friends as well as your annual cookie swap.
I honestly never even tried Pecan Pie until a few years ago and almost cried when I did. I was (true) sad I had missed out on this buttery sweet love for so many years. Pecan Pie Bars are a great way to have these to freeze for a few weeks until that special occasion when you want to share with friends.
Pecan Pie Bars Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour (for the crust)
- 1/3 cup sugar (for the crust)
- 3/4 tsp salt (for the crust)
- 3/4 cup cold butter cubed (for the crust)
- 1 cup sugar (for the filling)
- 1 cup corn syrup (for the filling)
- 4 large eggs (for the filling)
- 3/4 cup butter (for the filling)
- 2 tsp vanilla (for the filling)
- 1 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped (for the filling)
- Combine all CRUST ingredients in a bowl. Using the a stand or hand mixer, slowly mix in the butter until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Place crust mixture into the pan and pat out evenly with your hands or spatula.
- Bake Crust at 350 for 12 minutes
- While crust is in the oven, prepare the filling: Add sugar, corn syrup to medium sauce pot. Bring to boil, boil 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- In a small bowl mix eggs slightly and slowly pour into cooled mixture
- Stir in butter and vanilla, stirring to allow butter to melt completely.
- Add in pecans.
- Remove crust from the oven and immediately add in the filling mixture to the hot crust.
- Return crust with filling mixture to oven, Bake an additional 20 minutes or until filling has set.
Store in Air tight container. Place layes between parchment paper or paper doilies.